Hope Springs Ephemeral.

I haven't offered a Bloody Leg post in about two weeks. I know you miss it.


So, here's some gore to brighten your Thursday. It's brightened mine.


On the third, the vet told me to go back to wrapping it. Okay. I had two days off. It was a vacation. 






On the 12th, I sent the vet a text because I was concerned about a knot that presented on the front of his cannon, about two inches below the cut. 


So, my vet offered to come by on Tuesday or Wednesday to look at it. He called me afterwards with less than happy news. 

He said that he had sliced the proud flesh back down and had shot a radiograph, just for his own shits and giggles, which he then forwarded to a surgeon at UGA.. He wasn't super thrilled with the results. And he started preparing me for the possibility of surgery. 

I was naive, I realize now. I thought the surgical procedure, if it comes to that, would be a slice and dice and Ponykins would go back out into his pasture. Fuck me, I was wrong. 

We'd have to haul up to the University of Georgia in Athens (where I attended the Horse Owners' Seminar this past summer). Archie would get a general and be laid out on a table, have a surgical debridement, be wrapped back up and we'd be sent on our merry, bloody way. To tune of $1,500, not including trailering - four hours, one way. 

We have the money. That's not the issue. The issue is that I don't want my almost-18 year old injured horse to trailer four hours, be anesthetized, have all the healing sliced open, and then make him stand in a trailer for the four hours back. 

In talking with my vet, he doesn't think we're at that point now, either. He's advised me to continue wrapping the leg and checking for lameness. Archie hasn't had many off steps since this started, so of course he came out lame for the vet yesterday. My BM said that he'd been sleeping on the leg and that he'd just had his feet done that morning. We've got a plan to periodically jog him for each other to watch for lameness. 

Our next scheduled recheck will be the 16th of February, when the Kid will also get his teefers floated and his vaccines. 



Post proud flesh removal.

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. :( I'm so sorry this is turning into a huge ordeal. Every time I see a picture on instagram of his leg I hope there is good news associated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, hoping it doesn't come to surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the head and heart ache. Fingers crossed and lots of thoughts that he continues to heal without the need of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yuck. Hope this thing continues to heal on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So scary. I hope surgery doesn't have to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all of the healing jujus to Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to surgery!!!!
    Heal up Archie boy, mama is due some good newses!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Sending thoughts of healing to your pony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yikes, sorry it wasn't the best news :( your vet sounds super competent tho - hopefully he can get you through without surgery!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope surgery doesn't have to happen! As a fellow older-horse owner, I know it's tough to decide what to do in these kind of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been doing such a great job healing this up-I know you've got to get some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh yucky yuck. Not a fan of proud flesh. Sending good vibes, Archie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was that quote by GM always at the bottom of your page? I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. boo!!! Here is to some good healing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd been wondering how he was doing. I keep forgetting about Instagram. Ugh Beka :( Add me to the list of people who have their fingers and toes crossed for Archie to heal without needing surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. :( Ugh. Sending healing vibes to your pony and virtual vodka to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh what a pain this thing has turned into, fingers crossed that it only gets easier from here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I'm so sorry to see that!! Hugs for you, Beka -- nasty injuries are hard. My email link is on my blog -- if he does need surgery, Eventer Mafia is TEH SHITZ & I bet I could find a layover farm for you in Athens. I also have a good work friend who lives there. Networking: it's what we do & we can definitely do it for Archie!

    I'll start investigating anyway, b/c, um, ADHD sort of makes you a compulsive helper whether the helpees want your help or not. Wait -- do you live in Savannah???

    But all our hugs & bests --

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes! I hope this finished healing up ASAP so you can quit stressing about it. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!