An Outside Passion.

This is going to be short and sweet, while I'm drafting a couple other posts.


I know that a few of us are runners, like fitness and equestrianism go hand-in-hand because we want to be better athletes for our ponies.  Last year, or the year before, I signed up for a virtual 5k.  I've done a shit-ton of "real" 5ks, a few 10ks, and a half.  I consider myself experienced.

A really long time ago, when I completed my half.
The appeal to a virtual is that you set your schedule, you aren't fighting people for the nasty porta-potties, you can do it when the weather is perfect (unlike that one run I did in the rain and the few I've done while sweating buckets), and you generally get some bling.  The first one I did was the Happy 5k.  They sent me a shirt and a little medal, which was almost as nice as the one I got for my half.  

I'm signed up for another next month, the Mustache Dache.  Naturally, I started looking for more.  There aren't a lot of "real" runs coming up soon locally, so this is a nice way to keep me training for something.  I found one called the "Cupcake Run", aimed for December.  I love cupcakes.  While that would be reason enough to share about this (because I don't think virtual runs are very popular, so I'm acting under the assumption that most people don't know they exist), I'm sharing for another:  $4 out of the $18 entry fee goes back to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. 


If you look on my "about me" page, one of the points listed is that my father has Parkinson's disease.  The Micheal J. Fox disease.  The shakes.  The gift that keeps on giving from serving our country in Vietnam and being exposed to Agent Orange.  If you're looking to get your feet wet in competitive running, a virtual is a nice baby-step.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I didn't know virtual races were a thing! Very cool! And what an awesome cause to run for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakin agent orange. And every other chemical they've been exposed to. My spouse is a combat vet from oif and oef and they lived in oil fields where the countrymen burned the excess oil they couldn't process every day. Smokes rolling thru camp and all over. Cows laying in oil to cool off. Ick. And just like agent orange...got denies any harm.

    Sorry for /vent! Run your ass off grrl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea. I'm very tempted to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I want to try my hand at running, but honestly am intimidated by my terrible shape, hatred of running and suckage at getting up to exercise before work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just learned about these! I love that most of the ones I've found are connected to some sort of charity. I just did the "Faster Than Boo 10K" that benefited children's hospital programs. I might sign up for the cupcake run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just learned about virtual races, and since I am the world's slowest jogger, they sound way more appealing than live 5Ks where I'm either passed by slightly faster joggers or surrounded by children. Totally signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a clever concept! and a great cause - thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do they mail cupcakes? Also awesome, glad you are still going out there and running!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of virtual running, is that like Fat Amy's horizontal running in Pitch Perfect...cos I'd sign up for that ;-p

    Also if they mail cupcakes i may be swayed; like L, although by the time it'd get across the ocean & through customs it'd probably be well stale ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!