Unexpected Introductions.

I try really, really hard not to share other people's stories on this blog, because being at the same barn as me isn't the same as consenting to having your story told.  But this requires just a tiny bit of vague history.

My trail buddy is a retired hunter/jumper A trainer.  She had a barn back where she came from.  She sold all of her ponies and moved south.  A student who bought a pony recently contacted her to see if she could babysit said pony for a couple months.  A couple months turned into several months.

Trail buddy invited me to hop on this new pony after our weekly trail ride and jump a little bit.  He just arrived earlier this week.

So, now, lemme officially introduce Ox, my half-lease.  :)

You read that right.  MY HALF LEASE!!!!!!!

Yeah, no.  I didn't take any better photos.  But I will!
It certainly wasn't planned.  Trail buddy said that I was welcome to hop on him and help get him conditioned and go on a few adventures.  But after she invited me to ride him, and I jumped him, the words sort of spilled out of my mouth and it made the most logical sense.  I need to ride this horse.  This horse is giving me a different set of wings than Archie can provide.  I never understood how people with horses could look at other horses, but I understand now.  Because I hopped on Ox,  trotted and cantered a few laps, cantered a couple crossrails, and then jumped 2'6" like it was nothing.


Here's what I know about his history:

He's the result of PMU.  His breeding is unknown.  A trainer that trail buddy knows bought a shipment of foals and Ox was one of those.  He went to a college for their equestrian program and the cowboy son of the trainer was dared to jump him 3'.  He soared over it like a natural and that cowboy transitioned into a jumper.  He's got a giant CT branded into his butt cheek and trail buddy likes to tell people that he's a Canadian Trakehner and giggle silently.  He's a chestnut with four socks and a blaze and feathers.  He's built like a brick shit house and incredibly wide but still comfortable.  He's somewhere around 15 years old.  He rode like he was around 16 hands, but he took the leg so well and felt so solid that I'm not even sure.  He has historically been able to jump 4 feet.  He's fox hunted.



Taking advantage of trail buddy's knowledge, she's agreed to supervise the first few rides on him.  This was my third time jumping since Archie's diagnosis in November.  I'm fugly as hell.  But with this guy. I can be brave and I can work on myself.

My plan is to ride Archie the same amount per week.  I'll add rides on Ox three times of week.  And hopefully still hop on Big G once or twice a week.  To quote Big G's mom:  a jumper, a gaited pony, and King Archie.  Does life get any better?

You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. Wow, awesome! I feel like he needs some medieval armor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa he's so cool! I'm super excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOD I love him!!!! Please please please post all of the pictures and videos of him. He looks like a giant Connor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell yeah Beka, really happy for you!! Too much fun :) Lookin good going over that 2'6

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an appropriate name, as he's certainly built a bit like an ox! So glad you've got something fun to jump around again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is sooooo cute!!!! I'm excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh he is FANTASTIC!! I love him, and am so so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, I am super happy for you and glad you continue to expand your horizons :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is excellent news!!! What a fun summer shaping up for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet!!!! You look great! Congrats, he's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! He is so cute! I'm so excited for you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, awesome! I feel like he needs some medieval armor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww what a great option!! :-) So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOOK AT HIM LOOK AT YOU YOU GUYS ARE THE PERFECTEST!!!1!JKAHFKJAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He's adorable. Part of me thinks Welsh Cob but probably not from a PMU farm. I wonder if there is some Canadian in him (small, smart, draft horses).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, he is VERY cute!!! I am SO excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so fun! Can't wait to see what you guys do together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's adorable!! What a perfect situation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited for you! You're gonna have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! He looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. He certainly LOOKS like an Ox - wow that boy is thick! So happy for you - hope you have many more good rides.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw! He looks like a gentle giant! The PMU business is awful. Ox definitely has a happy ending though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post makes me so happy, you'll be doing so much riding & learning so much I am only totally jealous!
    Prob a dumb question, but I am am ignoramus...what does PMU stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  24. You found a thing to jump! Go you! No, life does not get any better. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!