Still Thinking.

After my Religious Experience on Wednesday, I've been thinking a lot about my riding.  I always think about my riding, but I felt like it was okay because I thought I was getting okay results.  Seriously, Trainer 3 (henceforth T3) was enlightening.

One of the things we talked about was legs.  My first trainer, the hunt master, taught Knees and Thighs.  Calves were ignored and heels were just for kicking.  My second trainer, whom I adore, taught primarily Calves.  Thighs were light so as not to block movement and knees weren't pinched, so as to not act as a pivoting point.

T3 teaches that the entire leg is to be used and to be used independently.  This is a hard concept.  I think, though, that it's going to be one of those things where I no longer cognitively think about it (like the hand jiggles) and instead my body reacts to his body and implements changes.

The plan is to take a lesson at least once a month.  I have goals, but I'd rather focus on filling these gaps in our training.  Jumping is going to be put on hold.  The rough plan:  get stronger at walk, trot and canter, with an engaged hind end and a straight spine; start incorporating ground poles (her recommendation was to start with one at 6 and one at 12, eventually building up to a four-stride 3, 6, 9 and 12 configuration); move from ground poles to cavaletti; move back to jumps.  I don't think this will happen overnight, but I'm hoping by September, maybe?

I've been looking at spurs online.  I wonder if I can justify another trip to Charleston, because I think that would be so much easier.  Or if the consignment shop would just ship me what I wanted ($10 breeches in my size and spurs).  I do agree that I was putting forth too much effort.  My right calf is still sore.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Sounds like good stuff, make a plan, work the plan, you are so there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! Good trainers make all the difference in the world, and can do wonders for your confidence. This trainer sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! You are on the right path!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're on the right track with this trainer. Looking forward to following along with you two! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you will get a lot out of working with T3 :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!