That Other C Word

I awoke yesterday twenty minutes early in a freaking panic.  I thought I'd overslept, after having woken up early for so long.  When the panic subsided, I luxuriated in bed for a few extra minutes.  It was awesome. 

Got to work, life as normal.

And then my barn manager texted me that Archie's leg was swollen.  I'd expected this, right?  It happened during that two-three day span in January when we went wrapless.  I asked if it was inside the leg or all over.  She sent the photo below.


I replied back something to the effect of, "oh shit, I'll text the vet."  She'd already texted him by that point and he said he was in the area and would swing by.


Congratulations, Archie, you've got cellulitis!

Here are some more gory photos from last night.  Yay!




I walked him around for about ten minutes and then cold hosed him for about ten minutes.  Shoved bute and carrots in his face and hovered over him to make sure he ate his dinner plus antibiotics plus beer.





This morning, my body grudgingly got up at our "normal" time.  It wasn't early enough to do as much as I wanted, but I shoved more bute in his face, walked him in a large figure-8, cold hosed for about ten minutes and left him to his breakfast.

I remind myself, as I have throughout this entire process when my confidence in life starts to wane, that horse ownership is a luxury.  Owning Archie is one of the best decisions I ever made and being the person to care for him now is a privilege.

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Big, big hugs to you Beka! You have been so emotionally strong through this whole thing. Archie is a fortunate horse to have you for his partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the right attitude and it will get better :). Fingers and toes crossed for a good recovery :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that sucks. You guys are going to overcome this though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the best mentality with this! Fingers crossed it heals up quickly for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG life needs to cut you a break already! :( All the healing thoughts for Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Oh buddy, that is funky. Fingers and toes crossed and crossed again for fast healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *bighugs*
    Keeping everything crossed for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no :( cellulitis sucks, but you can do it!!! good luck and hopefully he's back on track soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Archie!! You are definitely using up all your injury credits for this year. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no. Sheesh Archie. Hugs and healing vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are building up good luck and karma for an amazing experience soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Archie! Give your poor mother a break already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor guy :( I had cellulitis in my foot once - it HURT!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our cripples just keep us busy! I'd have to look up the name, but my vet gives me some meds that shrink the leg super fast, some kind of old school cow med. Nothing worse then losing the skin off the leg from it being so swollen!

    I hope he is feeling better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope he's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. *more hugs* you're in the final stretch of this so don't loose hope now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. my gelding did something similar to that this fall. took a long time to heal. lots of cold hosing and some penicillin. :( good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. (hugs) Bad Archie. I feel you, I do. Sending all our best...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Geez Archie...just when you thought you were outta the woods. Horses never fail to keep us guessing do they? Hoping Archie is back on the mend quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Geez Arch, one thing after another. I love your positive attitude though. I needed some of that today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Man, you just cannot catch a break! -hugs-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!