Books With Horses.

Soooorta like Steph's "Books With Horses On the Cover".

I'm an avid reader.  I can't help it.  It's an addiction and it neither makes me fat nor drunk, so I indulge it.  A lot.

So I want to share with you some literature I found that involves ponies, but won't tell you shit about how much you suck as a rider/trainer/caretaker/owner/person.

Novels.

The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope

Okay.  This is a weird book.  It's a love story.  It's amazing.  It's not for the faint of heart or the sexually close-minded.  

But the ponies, right?  

The basic gist of the plot is to follow the romance between the two main characters post WWII, as they meet, marry and build a family.  The primary source of income for the couple is horse training.  It isn't just "breaking" horses, but rather the softer charming of equines that is more readily practiced today.  It talks about communication between the rider and the horse, building trust, and dealing with issues.  Granted, the horse-training is a secondary aspect to the main plot of the love story and its complications, I still found it a worthwhile inclusion and informative.

Chaos Walking

This is a trilogy for young adults.  The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, and Monsters of Men.

Here's the basic premise:  we've fucked up earth so badly that we had to find a new place to live.  We found a new planet and it was habitable and amazing, until we realized that being on the planet meant that we could hear the thoughts of every living thing.. except human women.  Also, we took great joy in slaughtering and enslaving the primary inhabitants of our new planet.  You follow along with the main character, a teenage boy, as he leaves his city.  I don't want to give too much away.

But the horses talk.
A depiction by LeaBHarlann.
It's pretty much what I would expect horses to say, except there's this bit about gender confusion that initially drove me crazy.  By the end of the third book, instead of being annoyed by the author's fuck up, it becomes a charming part of the horses' personalities.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Hmmm my interest is piqued. I'm an obsessed reader too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to see if the library has the Chaos Walking series! It sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to have to add Chaos Walking to my to read list! I love sci-fi, and I love ponies. Sounds like it could be a mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, glad you shared. I was needing some books to add to my reading list this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting...hopefully i remember to check back to this post when i'm next on the look out for reading materials!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!