Through the Lens.

I left veterinary medicine about five years ago.  Shortly after that, I started volunteering as a photographer with my local humane society.  You've seen my photos interspersed on this blog and on my IG.  I think I'm okay at it - at least better than the iPhone photos they take at intake.  Anyways, it was important to me at the time to keep my hand involved somehow with animals.  And I love photography and this experience has undoubtedly improved my skills with a camera.

But now I'm wondering if my volunteering has run its course.  Hard thoughts about this, because I love it and I feel like it has a purpose, but I've lost the sense of gratification.  Both in the sense of my intrinsic motivation and in their appreciation of my time and effort.  For now, I've told them that I'm cutting my hours - no longer weekly, maybe once or a twice a month.

In that theme, I took my old Rebel out to the barn the other day.  I'm not sure what prompted me.  Sunlight?  Extra hours in the day?  But here are some photos from the little pasture shoot of the geldings and Archie.









Someone gets jealous.









You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. What a great way to help out and do something fun. I wonder if volunteering at a different rescue would help you feel more gratified... that is if there is more than one in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No harm in refocusing your energies. :-) Those are some beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be better at photography... but I never get the motivation to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such an eye for great photos! Love the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebels are awesome. And so are your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the photos are excellent. Perhaps it's time to move on to the next chapter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely light in the pictures!! Knowing when to walk away from a volunteer position is always hard for me too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!