Killer Trot Poles

Would you believe that I started writing this post on Saturday and never finished it?  You would.

I've thought about this every time I've thought about this post.
So, the last real riding post, I mentioned that Archie had lurched a few times like a drunken sailor back on land.  He's done it once since then, but I immediately incorporated trot poles back in our regime.  The Texan (sure, I could call you "Lauren", but isn't the Texan so much more fun?) mentioned loose stifles and since we have no hills to work with, I thought trot poles.

As with all things in mine and Archie's lives, tracking left so much easier.  We did a few laps, incorporating the poles into every lap.  I asked for a little canter and he gave it with absolutely no fuss.

Tracking right, though, I had a derpy moment.  There was one point where he had to do this giant, ugly extension so as to not land on a pole.  I mean, a whopping three poles with a raised center.  Not complicated.  Shouldn't be messy.  Just go, right?  I almost bailed on completing an equal number of circuits for the right side because it was just so difficult for him.

Finally, my cojones dropped and I realized that the problem wasn't him and the problem wasn't the poles - it was me psyching myself out and holding back, so that he didn't have nearly enough impulsion.  As soon as I asked him for a more forward trot, a little bounce in the step, the poles were perfect.

After all that work, though, I wanted to go walking through the meadow.





No walks without grazing.


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I feel ya! My issue Saturday was more pace to the jumps so I wouldn't bury poor Henry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impulsion: not just for the dressage queens anymore. Boo.

      Delete
  2. I just love the views down there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit! Give me lessons! Ride my pony! Battle my mental demons!

      Delete
    2. AND WE CAN PLAY WITH CAMERAS! AND PUPPIES!

      Delete

Thanks!