Buttah.

I rode last night.  I left work early in order to get my teefers cleaned (no cavities!  it's a new year's miracle!) and opted to ride almost immediately afterwards.  Thankfully, I stopped by the house to change, because the dogs had been locked in the back yard when the pneumatic hinge on the screen door failed.  I don't know how long they were out there and Scarface is pretty fluffy, but they were happy to come in.  I've got plants set up now holding the door open as a back up.  Woo.

These clouds made me think of snow.

Yesterday's high was 35º.  I take back anything I ever said about y'all who are exposed to "snow" or inclement weather or who have access to those magical "indoor" things.  Shit was cold.

Walking to my car at one in the afternoon.
My warmest breeches also have the biggest holes.
I ain't got fancy silky long johns, but I have these celestial Cuddle Johns that my mom bought me to go skiing. ..In high school, I think.  Another pair of socks went on top of these.

No one was at the barn, so I got to set up my surprise (I'll write about it tomorrow, maybe) all by my lonesome.  Hope those bitches appreciate my labor of love!


I pulled Archie out of his pasture and did the sloppiest groom ever.  I slid his blankets off his front half, groomed that, slid it back, slid the butt up, groomed that.  I'm sure he was just humoring me.

Checking the cut on his leg warranted no pinned ears nor warmth.  I mounted and planned to walk for a while.  He felt good at the walk - if anything, he was stiff and jarring on the front end.  After what I deemed was a sufficient amount of time, I asked for the trot.

And it was smooth and soft and, seriously, the first thing I thought of was butter.  So, yay for the Archer being all sorts of not-gimpy.

My phone is sort of creepy.  How does it know my schedule?
I've talked at length with OR about going to the XC schooling this weekend.  The bottom line is that, while there is a three horse trailer, there isn't a truck capable of hauling it with three horses inside.  They were going to ask the BO if they could borrow his truck, but I told them not to worry about it.  I'm sad to be missing out, but I also don't want to push my horse so soon after he got kicked hard enough to be lame.  I said that we could plan another outing when it warms up a little, and that way we can rent a truck strong enough to haul three horses.  I also talked to BM about a show in February.  Trying, again, not to get my hopes up.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I hope something works out for you transportation wise soon! Y'all have been working so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll get to a show or something eventually. I told the hubs that a truck and trailer was officially on the five-year-plan.

      Delete
  2. I decided I don't like them because they can't make everything magically work out for you like I want them to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I like them! They're both super nice, non-competitive and informative-without-being-an-asshole. I couldn't ask for better!

      Delete
  3. 1. Cuddle johns. Love them. 2. Sad the xc cording didn't work out this time around- hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I'm stoked that they've held up so well for so long. But, uh, not super sexy. D came home and I was wearing the full celestial set and he was not as impressed as I would have hope. Feety PJs might be on the list next.
      2. You know, part of me is just super grateful that there are other riders here and that I like them and that there is a future opportunity to do stuff off the farm.

      Delete
  4. Are there people who aren't in your barn that might take you? I know that is how I met my bestie...I just posted on classifieds looking for a trailer buddy and I ended up with a tonne of friends who share my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good thought! If this area were more like my hometown, it might be a feasible option. I just don't think there are that many horse people around. The rest of the group is coming from a city about an hour away, so it's not fair to ask one of them to tack an extra two hours on their trailering time. So.. I don't expect anyone in this area to be keen on driving two hours to go XC schooling. I think it'll work out in the future, when there is more of an opportunity to plan.

      Delete
  5. You should come with me to the Feb show when I take Owin. Maybe if we butter up BO, we can use his truck and take OR, too. I'm not taking Johnny. There's one on the 1st--the fun show, and a bigger one on the 22nd-23rd.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!