Unconventional Wisdom.

I have been with my equine vet since we moved to Savannah.  When I was at the old barn, I set up my appointments on my own and made it my responsibility to find a reputable vet, rather than simply rely on what the BO suggested (because I questioned everything that came out of her mouth).

Prior to moving to Savannah, I only ever saw the vet when there was an emergency or a lameness issue.  It was a large barn and I would either get a bill or get notice.  I had no idea what Archie got or when.  As I changed vets, I actually had to contact the old vet to see what Archie was due for and when and get all of his rads and history sent to the new vet.  Normal stuff, but I had never done it for my horse before.

So it was a novel experience to have time to cut the shit with the vet when he came out to see Archie. We talked horses, people, veterinary medicine, small animal practices, and idiot owners.


The first or second visit, I had the vet float Archie's teeth.  He did it, but afterwards he gave me a bit of advice.  He said that, while every horse needs to have the teeth checked every six months, the concept that a float is necessary yearly is misinformation.


I told the BM the other day that I was dead set and determined that Archie would get his teeth floated yesterday at his visit.  Three years, too damn long, left me feeling incredibly anxious about the condition of his mouth and what the recent increase in contact felt like for him.

And the vet told me no.

I begged.  I pleaded.  I pointed out a superficial chip in one of his incisors.  And he still told me no.

And, insultingly, I asked if he were sure.  He told me that he had done 37 floats that week and that, yes, he was sure.

Nope, nope, nope.
Left thumb is actually on the chip.

In the rest of the visit, we talked about Archie's ringbone and recent eye inflammation.  He told me that we wouldn't need to repeat rads of those front ankles until probably 2016, as it takes a while to show bone changes.  Unless, of course, there was any front end lameness.  The vet also reminded me that the ringbone wasn't near the joint, that he felt it would never be near the joint, and that we really didn't need to worry about it too much.

Otherwise, we talked about how great the ponykins was doing:  trail rides and jumps and just still a perky fellow.




Shiny butt.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Consider yourself lucky, Alex needs his done every six months right now, cause he grows these big giant hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mares get checked yearly but don't always need anything done either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man three years! I hope my horse can go three years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Archie having good teeth, :)
    Love the photos too - am so used to rain & grey skies that I'd begun to forget what sunshine looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No points, no hooks? After three years wow! My favorite part of the teeth check is sticking my own hand in their mouth so i can feel the points/hooks and then after its done so i can feel the difference. I think its the coolest thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that tail! Also I think the relationship you have with your vet is great, reminds me a lot of the relationship I have with mine, When horse professionals are honest with their clients thats when things get real and things can get done. Not just nickel and diming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boys get checked yearly; sometimes they need more work than other times. That's normal. Age has a lot to do with it as well. I've ALWAYS taken care of my own vet calling as i've never boarded anywhere that had a BARN MANAGER. I've also had my horses on my own property, too. I really can't imagine not knowing exactly what's happening when and why. When you're a do-it-yourselfer, you know a lot more about your horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with L. Williams - love the tail! Your vet sounds awesome. Finding a good vet can be a chore, as with all equine professionals, I suppose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!