Amazeballs.



First off, happy Independence Day.  I'm an Army brat and I think any holiday of this sort is a great opportunity to show some appreciation for our military and their families.  So, many, many thanks.

Second, I tried my new saddle.  I'll write more about our little vacation in my next post, after I upload all the random photos I took. 

Okay, I've been trying to think of an adequate analogy for this saddle versus my Stubben.  And here it goes:  my Stubben is like my Subaru.  When it was first made, it was amazing and expensive and appealed to certain groups.  And while they are both still functional, the art of creation has improved significantly since then.  Now, cars have things like bluetooth and saddles have ..well, cushion.
AYUTTHAYA, THAILAND - JULY 28  Thai people transport tourists for an elephant ride tour of the ancient city on 28, July 2012 in Ayutthaya  Stock Photo - 14784301
It was like this.
Which would make this new saddle something like a few years old one-owner, non-smoking, garage-kept car.  Maybe like a cheaper Honda or something.  While it's not a Porsche, you still appreciate the fuck out of it because it also certainly isn't your seventeen year old Subaru with questionable brakes.

That's a lot of convulsion just for me to say that I love this damn Collegiate.  It was super cushy and super grippy and just overwhelmingly comfortable.  As with any saddle, the top priority is always the horse and I'm pleased to say that Archie seemed to enjoy it.  When I asked him to pick up the trot, he immediately stretched down through his neck and back.  By the end of our little ride, I was having to ask him to slow down.  Mr. Grumper-pants doesn't normally have to be asked to slow down.

I also got him to pick up the canter in both directions and opted to sit, to see how the saddle felt.  It was still amazing.  It tends to push me on my crotch, though, so I have to work to keep my shoulders back and to sit more on my seatbones.  I don't think this'll be a bad thing.



Ignore the too-big almost-white breeches with the purple studded belt and the white t-shirt.

Sweat pattern looks pretty even!

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Wahoo for the new saddle! Definitely looks more cushy so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay saddle!! Upgraded are always nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the Stubbens! I never realised just how hard my Stubben was until I got my Kieffer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a freaking brick! How did I not realize that I was putting a brick between his back and my butt?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Maybe I'll splurge on an equally as exciting bridle next. :)

      Delete
  5. I tried an old stubben before ending up buying a new biomex one - and man the hardness of the seat on the old one - i couldn't have hacked riding in that one..not enough padding on my backside to counter-balance!
    Adore my biomex seat though! *love*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look up biomex, I'm not familiar with that! But yeah, it definitely required me to have decent legs because nothing in the saddle was doing me any favors.

      Delete
  6. Yay for a fitting new saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love collegiate saddles, I have a diploma that I don't think I will ever part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, this Collegiate will probably stay with me forever. It's so comfy.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is! I hope those breeches are equally as great!

      Delete
  9. I've tried the older Stubbens, too, and I can't ride in them.

    My first close contact saddle was a Collegiate. I LOVED that saddle-the way it felt, the position it put me in for jumping. I hope you and Archie enjoy yours for a very long time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I started in an old Stubben, twenty years ago, so I've always sought them out. But sooo hard!

      Delete
  10. Ooo that's quite the upgrade! Glad you love it :) I loved my Collegiate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt safe getting it because y'all had favorable experiences with them. :)

      Delete

Thanks!