TOABH: Shining Star

I

Shining Star
Let's talk about the biggest achievements your horse has accomplished.  I'm not talking about you as a rider - I want to know what your ponykins has done to make you proud.  Is there a glorious satin collection, did he/she figure out some dressage movement that took months to learn, or are is it just a great day when your butt stays in the saddle?  


Just about everything about Archie makes me proud.  But his biggest achievement?  The canter.

My horse has a great canter.  I get compliments on his rhythm and flow.  But unlocking that canter has taken and continues to take the years that we've been together.  It doesn't help that it frightened the fuck out of me because the transition into canter typically resulted in ugly bucks and lunges.

Like this flail.
If you've been with my blog from the beginning, you might remember that many of our rides at the old barn left me feeling super shitty.  Most days, I didn't ask for the canter and I certainly didn't ask him to sustain it.  But my balance, cojones, and skills improved, I learned better how to ask him to balance himself and his fitness improved.

So this is what I'm proud of my Kid for doing:  he can pick up either lead with little encouragement and little fight.






get the InLinkz code

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. yay for cantering like a boss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop! The video is awesome. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh good one! I'm going to have to think on this one... most of our biggest accomplishments are me getting over my fear so I'll have to think on something that is specifically his accomplishment. :) I love the cantering video of you and Archie! I can't wait until we are that comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I can SO totally relate! I am at that place with my horse right now (the flailing, bucking and lunging into canter). I just posted about this!!! It ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!