The Bestish News

My vet requested a photo of The Kick a week after our last recheck. I sent him this one that I took last night, along with my notes.


I expressed concern that he appeared to have developed some scald on his canon bone - you know, where you're supposed to apply the wrap tension to keep it off the tendons. 

So, good news? NO MORE WRAPPING! 

Badish news? Not because the wound is where my vet wants it, but because Archie's leg is 100% done with this shit. 


This leaves me thinking about the rehab game plan. I like to think that I've never been a rider to rush things (except that one trail ride from hell that came at me like a ton of bricks) (sorry, pony), so bringing Archie back into work will be no exception. Tonight, I'll remove his wraps and bandage, shove some carrots in his face, and wish him a good night. 

Tomorrow, I'll check to make sure that he isn't swelling on the inside of that leg. If he is, we'll go on a little hand walk to get him moving and I'll apply some Surpass. 

And if everything is agreeable, I aim to spend about ten-twenty minutes in the saddle on Wednesday, walking. No rush. I'm eager, but I want to do right by him. 

I <3 my vet.

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. AHHHHHH YOU GET TO RIDE YOUR HORSE!!!! Leg looks PHENOMENAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if anyone will rehab him correctly itsyou! So excited for the path forwarsd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on hitting up Nicku for some tips and tricks!

      Delete
    2. Hit me up! I live by these rules...sedatives are your friend, pick when, with whom and where u ride wisely, however long they were off for is a good gauge of how long your rehab plan should be, energy does not mean fitness, walk a lot and then walk some more!

      Delete
  3. CONGRATS on the end of wrapping! Love that owl meme btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent newses, bring on the good weather and slow & steady saddle time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks sooooo good! I'm really happy for y'all with this step in the healing process :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. woo hoo!! super exciting!! wishing you the best of luck too! in case your interested - Megan from A Enter Spooking wrote a pretty great post about rehabbing soft tissue injuries... it's not exactly the same as your situation, but there might be useful tidbits in there ;)

    http://aenterspooking.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-experience-with-soft-tissue-injuries.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, girl, link and everything. Why haven't I read this before?!

      Delete
  7. Rehabs can feel like they take forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, not much compares with eleven weeks of leg wrapping.

      Delete
  8. YES! How awesome. Good on you not to rush things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!