TOABH: Costly.

Proof!
I swear to all that is pony and magical that this is purely coincidental.  I wrote out what all the topics would be and when they would be long before Archie got kicked.  And sent copies to Hill and L to get their opinions, because they are my not-so-secret blogging besties. But here we are:


Costly
What has been your horse's most expensive injury to date? Let's exclude maintenance things, like hock injections and the magical monthly package of MSM. What single episode blew your savings or left you boiling ramen? If you want to get technical about it, time is money, too. 

2014 sort of sucked for us. In the span of this year, Archie had an episode of colic, the abscess from hell, and tried to amputate his leg. Prior to this year, he's had minor swollen legs and eyes. He got cast in his once with no injuries, I think he had one other abscess, maybe, his hocks and fetlock injected, and a sore back. 

When I initially planned this post, I had wanted to talk about how the abscess was cheaper than the colic financially, but the drain of wasted time was greater. 

Abscess



Colic

But now that The Kick has happened, both of those have been overshadowed. But, really, not by much:


It wins as the biggest time suck and most costly non-maintenance thing to happen to us. I do want to say, though, that I have the absolute best veterinarian ever and he has, thankfully, not charged me for any rechecks, the debridement, the time he's reviewed photos and answered questions, or even the radiographs that he sent to UGA. I am beyond appreciative. (Ideas for thank you gifts for a mobile vet are also appreciated.) If any of y'all find yourselves in the Deep South, I'll hook you up. :)

Ps. This post was written on an iPad and may be cleaned up later. get the InLinkz code

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Stampede is really good at costly non-maintenance things, not sure I want to know the money involved...

    Basically you have been lucky, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super lucky. Knock on wood. I'm really appreciative, too.

      Delete
  2. When it rains, it pours, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your vet's prices. Lily's annular ligament injury cost close to $3,000 in vet bills, which included: 6 rad views of the one foot, 3-4 ultrasounds (can't remember how many total now), a bout of cellulitis on the same leg and the injectable antibiotics that required. Insurance reimbursed about $2000 of that, but I still had to pay up front. I paid out of pocket for 3 bottles of ace (cheaper from Smartpak at $26/bottle), 2 bottles of methocarbamol ($53 from Smartpak), and a tub of bute ($34 from Smartpak.) And I was paying an extra $60/month in board for stall rest for 4 months, and then shelled out another $300 on ulcer meds when she developed ulcers on stall rest (thank God for Abgard, a generic omeprazole which I was able to get overseas.) So yeah...that was all about $4,000 before insurance; $2000 of that was not reimbursed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a rotten grown up because it has taken me this long to be both fiscally in a position and responsible enough to want insurance on Archie. And now I think he may be too old. In April, he should again be eligible for the colic care program, so at least there's that.

      When I still worked in vet med, one of the practices would let me order my horse drugs at cost. Would that have been a possibility at your practice?

      Delete
    2. You should still be able to get him covered for mortality. Some policies will cover for some truly major medical for senior horses; ask around. :) I have Broadstone's The Hartford. Lily is insured for $1200 mortality with up to $7500 for major medical. I pay $365 for the entire year.

      At the start-up FL hospital I worked at, they'd let me order any prescription equine meds at cost bc one of the associates had horses herself. I stocked up on bute and Banamine before moving, but I haven't had that luck again. At my current hospital they won't even let the vets order equine meds for their horses. MD is stricter about absolutely requiring prescriptions for meds that aren't over the counter. Huge bummer. :(

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed you are out of the woods now and there are no more vet bills in your future.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Routine maintenance only! I feel really good about his leg now.

      Delete
  5. Damn, I want your vet bills. I don't even want to think about mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want your vet's prices too! Had to have the local university come out on an emergency call last spring when the new mare to the herd kicked my mare in the hip hard enough to make a giant hole with muscle tissue hanging out. $650 later....

    ReplyDelete
  7. it never ends, does it... but just to be safe, maybe don't share your blog topic lists with Archie any more so he doesn't get any more ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to go pull Chrome's file because I couldn't remember how much he has cost me (probably blocked it out). I was pleasantly surprised and appreciative. Thanks for this great blog hop! I'm glad Archie is doing so well finally!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!