Bugs.

So, after the sun reappeared yesterday, I started thinking about bugs.  That's a logical step in Georgia.


Mosquitoes are like the effing plague down here.  And gnats.  Some days, you can't breathe because you're actually inhaling small invertebrates instead of oxygen.  True story.

Part of this was also because I was going through my attic tack room (joke) and found a fly mask (with ears!) and a fly sheet.  I think the fly sheet is too thick for Georgia, so I was going to donate it a million years ago to Halters for Hope, but I forgot.  Now is not really the time financially to be making donations, but, according to the financial class I took on Wednesday, I’m a giver and don’t make logical choices when it comes to people asking for help.  Whoops.

I started thinking about fly prevention minus a sheet.  I use these fly boots, which I love.  I wised up last year and got them on before the black flies started biting and I was able to prevent the nasty inflammation that occurred the summer before.  I’m also pretty religious about spraying him down twice a day.  I did the feed-through SmartBug Off for a month or so last summer, but I can’t say that I really saw a difference.  It’s supposed to have MSM in it to help with the inflammation of the bite, but he’s already got MSM in his system from the SmartFlex Senior.  Annnnd then I started thinking about more homeopathic things to do in addition to the spray and the boots.  BO is getting better about cleaning shit (literally), so hopefully this season won’t be too bad.  (Assuming I don’t find a barn magically next door to my new area of the city.  Here’s hoping.)

A commercial “all natural” fly spray that I actually have some experience with is Eqyss Premier Marigold Spray.  I don’t know if I ever mentioned the older couple who had two married geldings and a mare, but they swore by this stuff.  And it smelled great.  I never used it on Archie, though.  Anyone use it before?

So, this is what I’m thinking:  I’m going to have the best-smelling horse in the world.  Flies don’t like mint and mosquitoes don’t like citronella.  Add to that the scent of marigolds.  (Which I’d probably buy in that super-ass expensive premade bottle.)  I use alcohol currently as an emulsifier for Archie’s liniment and it has its own stank.  I’m not an expert in this, but I know that most essential oils require another neutral oil as an emulsifier and a big bottle of jojoba oil is pretty inexpensive at the natural foods store.  But this website says that you can also use witch hazel, which I stupidly love.  Here’s my tentative recipe for a fly spray (to be modified after use or forgotten completely):

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I have a list of things I gottqa buy before I move, how bad is August>?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate. Bugs. Hate. I'm lucky though that the mosquitoes aren't very bad at the farm, just the flies. We had similar bugs to what you're describing when I lived in NC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible! I don't remember it being this bad in Augusta, but Savannah, with all the standing water and moss, is gross. :(

      Delete
  3. I used to use the Marigold stuff but wasn't able to find it anywhere last year! I am pretty sure there is a version that is all flyspray? And that stuff is more a irritant treatment? Maybe I am mistaken. The bug situation sounds terrible :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're mistaken! I think people use it for both. At least - it was the only fly spray the old people used. And marigolds are supposed to repel flies.

      It is terrible!

      Delete

Thanks!