The Racehorse.

I'm not a big racehorse fan.  I don't sit glued to the TV, watching all the major and not-so-major races.  I don't follow who won what and when.  Mostly, this stems from not prioritizing something that I, at the base of things, disagree with.  I think any of us raising our own babies would give them the proper time to grow before tossing riders on their backs and pushing them distances.

/rant.

So, I know the "big" names in Archie's pedigree, but that's about it.  And I generally was just aware of them being good racehorses - nothing about what they tossed to their progeny or how well they bred or if they were assholes.

I've since learned that his sire, Ocean Crest, was imported to Turkey in 1999.  He'd been at stud for a year in Kentucky prior to Archer being ..made.  And he was the sire of the "Highest Earning Offspring" in Turkey from 2009 to 2010.  And he made over $270k.

There isn't much information on his mare, Tell It Over.  She grossed $17k and raced 32 times.  (Seems like a lot of running to me.)

But, going back, there are a few more names that I vaguely recognize:  Storm Bird, Northern Dancer, Nearco & Neartic, Phalaris, Native Dancer, Polynesian, Nashua and Nasrullah and Nearco (again), Princequillo (twice), Seattle Slew, Bold Reasoning, Boldnesian.  Even so:  I don't know these horses.  I can look at stats, but I don't know the history.

That's one of the things that I want to work on:  getting to know the horses whose blood runs through mine.  L. Williams credited one of those guys (Nearco?) to his propensity for being an asshole (she also figured out his tattoo!).  But who made him intelligent?  Who made him affectionate?  Who gave him those ADORABLE ermine marks on his hind socks?

(Most of this curiosity stems from a post I just read by Encore's mom.)

At yesterday's ride, after falling asleep on the couch surrounded by kittens for an hour and a half, I actually had the presence of mind to bring my little Polaroid that I use for videoing.  It's not super-duper quality, but it's sufficient.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to review it or edit it and the video, as stands, is about twenty minutes long.  And it isn't very wide-angle, so I'm in and out of the frame.  I did try to do transitions on screen and set it up to show the little crossrail we jumped.  Here's to hoping.

(Ps.  We lost our soccer game against my old, hateful team on Sunday.  And I got nailed in the boob.  Looking back, I should have head-butted the ball, but I'm not comfortable doing that yet.  Must work on heading balls.)

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. That's an old school pedigree! A lot of those names are pretty common in most TB pedigrees, but you usually see them waaay farther back. Storm Bird, Nashua, and Nearco were all known for passing on poor temperament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Storm Bird is my jerk's grandpa. That really sort of explains a lot. But, hey, I always say that if he were an easy horse, I'd get bored!

      Delete
  2. Oooo, Turkey, that's a new one! I just love all the stories, I really do. Nearco was a jerk, no one wanted to handle him, LOL. The Boldnesian/Seattle Slew lines were the other ones mentioned alongside Red God's which prevail in the Native Dancer pool. I am now curious if I can find a racehorse who DOESN'T have Hyperion and St Simon in his past, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all cousins. Distant and seemingly inbred cousins.

      And, yeah, totally had no idea that Turkey was big on importing American thoroughbreds. (My farrier, the ass, kept telling me that they're more interested in the young ones for meat.)

      Delete
  3. I'm fascinated by equine bloodlines. I'm lucky to know quite a bit about Coro's relatives since he has three Paso Fino Foundation sires in his pedigree (he is a grandson of a quite-famous Top Ten stallion, Hilachas) and there are lots of artwork and stories about them to be found. There is a picture of a great-grandsire with a rider and I happen to have one of Coro and I in the exact same stance - the likeness is uncanny, especially as Mar de Plata is a few generations back. You can also tell by the registration number whether the Pasos were imported and if so, from where (Puerto Rico or Colombia). I even found Coro's mother for sale at 27 years old a while back - she was advertised as a spirited trail horse and it was really tempting not to buy her. The Spanish names are fun, too - Coro's sire's name means "Trouble from Spain" and his dam's means "Rascal" if that tells you anything...

    I know that Notchee has some pretty famous Arabs in her family, mostly from the Gainey line out of California.

    Dani's grandsire Esteban B, an Andalusian imported from New Zealand, lives in our barn so that's pretty neat! He is a 4th level dressage horse. I definitely see some similarities between them. I've found a few pictures of her sire on the internet and have communicated briefly with his owner via email - she I would really like to see photos of her dam, a QH/Mustang mare called Amber, but the breeders have gotten out of the business and I've had no luck reaching them (which is too bad because I have to have their permission to do an official name change). I would love to learn more about her bloodlines.

    Whoa, long comment - I told you this topic interested me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if I ever had a shot at either of Archie's parents, I would not be able to say no! Good restraint, Lara!

      See, I want to know what you know - all the history and what the characteristics are. (I also really, really want to find a photo finish of the Kid in his one win.) Are you as interested in your own genealogy?

      Delete
  4. I know a few people who've been able to get the racing photos through Jockey Club.

    Since I already have two 23 year olds, adding a 27 year old wasn't irresistibly appealing.

    My own genealogy intrigues me slightly less, and seems more difficult to research.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!