"Happens for a Reason."


That's a hard thing to swallow, for multiple reasons.  Like: 1) It means I'm not in control.  2) It implies that something "greater" is at work.  3) And it's generally a platitude spewed when things don't work out your way.  Imagine my surprise when my there-is-no-greater-than-us husband said it to me, as I sat with my smokey Subie on the side of the road.

That's not good, right?
I was super excited.  I had another surprise and I didn't want to tell anyone about it because it made me incredibly nervous.  Like, pop half a Xanax before leaving the house because the nerves are eating me alive already and I'm not even at the barn yet.

BM had invited me on a group trail ride.

I knew, from another boarder, roughly what to expect.  Five or so riders and an easy two hours in the surrounding trails.  I've joked with her multiple times about our trail-sucking OTTBs who either chase off the other horses, chase after the other horses, or refuse to enter the woods altogether.  I'd also lamented the fact that it has been years since I've cantered a horse in the woods and, dammit, I miss that.

But it wasn't meant to be.

I texted BM to tell her that my car was acting up.  They offered to wait a while for me.  After inspecting a pipe spraying the overly-hot radiator with fluid, I told her that I wouldn't be able to make it at all.  It took me about an hour to get the Subie the three miles back to the house, stopping frequently to let the engine cool.

Britches, half-chaps, boots, a gallon of water, and a piece of shit.
When I stole my husband's much nicer car to go to the barn yesterday, I learned that the trail ride had reached epic proportions.  Not only had there been ten horses with eleven riders (a kid tucked up front), they had gone out for three and a half hours.  Part of their journey had involved walking BESIDE A HIGHWAY.  You know, with CARS.  Aw, fuck no.  BM even said that she wasn't keen on that part, but wasn't leading.  I'm not even comfortable riding trail-broke horses beside active roads.  People are idiots (I'm no exception when it comes to driving).

So maybe it happened for a reason.
Friday night, compliments of Wallpaper's Good 4 It.
Hi, Mom!
Oh, hey, check out the last post for a freaking giveaway, guys!

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. That trail ride sounds terrifying. Sorry about your car though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was only a matter of time!

      The other boarder and I are talking about baby trails together - because we won't be embarrassed if our horses act up or we have to lead them across something.

      Delete
  2. Hope you fix the car soon. Car problems...Ugh. By the way, I'm Paola. I just found your blog and anted to introduce myself. I'll go follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor car!!

    Aye a trail ride next to the road.. no.thank.you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told BM that I had memories of a horrible fox hunt in which multiple horses went down over asphalt. It stuck with me.

      Delete
  4. While one of the group rides (Coro's first time out with more than two other horses, in fact) at my old barn was hands down one of the best days I've ever had on horseback, despite a riderless runaway in the first five minutes, the last one I went on (same group, more or less) turned quickly into Extreme Trail Ride! and quickly had me out of my comfort zone with my 23 year old horse. He was ready to charge straight up the vertical, but I was not willing to let him. Three of us turned back. They say "safety in numbers" but I don't think that's true for trail rides. It can turn to chaos in a heartbeat, and smaller groups tailored to your own comfort levels with good communication are better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! I was anticipating a smaller group for this ride because they haven't had a huge participation lately (from what I'd heard). I didn't realize that people would be trailering in just to go on this ride!

      And I don't think Archie would ever charge up anything, unless it was another horse. :)

      Delete
  5. Poor car! I'm equally terrified of that trail ride. Alex and I have hacked out alone, but not with friends in the... gulp... woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archie and I go by ourselves all the time! I think I might actually prefer it, though I've reached the limits of where we can go with bow season upon us. That was part of the reason I wanted to go with this group - to see where else I can ride.

      Delete

Thanks!