Beauty Shop

If you had told me that I was going to be the sort to dye a tail, I probably would have replied with "Purple?  Or blue?"  Color me surprised when a box of black dye landed in my hands.

I consulted the experts prior to this experiment (namely, Amanda, and primarily if one box would be enough: yes, even for Granpa's ombre ponytail).




She's got much better explanations on her blog, but essentially I wore shitty clothes and slathered his tail in dye, following the box directions.  Luckily picking a low-fly day.


I plan on cutting his mane (GASP), but leaving that little sad forelock.  So it needed to blend and Archie gracefully got a rubber glove duct-taped to his forehead.  Dude's a champ.

Needless to say, that fell out within ten minutes and I sacrificed a hair band to keep it off his skin.


I'd had all the best intentions of lathering his butt in protective oils, but fuck it.  Life is short.


And then we grazed...


For half an hour..


And then we rinsed and I discovered that I jacked up one little spot.  I'm not sure if I applied too much of the "Step 1 Pretreatment" to that area or if I just completely missed it.  Hopefully, it's not too noticeable.



In the right lighting, you can't even tell... tail... haha.

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. It looks like you managed to not get his butt black even without the fancy oils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that fancy dude! He's going to be looking snazzy to meet the ginger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh la la!! I love his expression in the last pic - like "oh HAY THERE"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at him pose with that booty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always seem to miss that spot, too. To the point where I keep the leftover dye for a day or so for touch-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a boarder who dyes her horse's tail every year. This last time it "accidentally" went straight cobalt blue. Blue tail + white horse = unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprisingly cute and whimsical to have a unicorn greet everyone as they drove in the front gate!

      Delete

Thanks!