Turn N Burn


The above stolen photo is a wild hog, photographed in Valdosta.  Prior to our move to Savannah back in 2010, I'd never seen a wild hog.  I didn't realize this was a "thing".  Our first experience with a wild hog was one probably twice the size of the above photo, hanging out in our parking lot of our townhouse.  I assumed it was a domesticated pig (albeit a really fucking huge one) and started to approach it before D stopped me.  In recalling the story to my local friends, I found out that I was a freaking idiot and that the wild hog population has a reputation of being nasty.  There's a special section on Wiki for "attacks on humans".

Truck for reference.
I still think it's a domesticated pig.
Better safe than mauled?
In my Sunday trail rides, we've noticed the dirt road we ride on has been torn up and all we could think was that it was the wild pigs rooting or whatever.  Snuffling the dirt.  The other rider mentioned having seen one and, this past ride, we actually did an abrupt U-turn after seeing one walking in the other direction.  I don't know if they'd go after a horse, but I don't particularly want to find out.

So last night, I take Archie back to that trail but intentionally plan to avoid the area where we saw the pig the day before.  I'd had him trotting for a few minutes and finally let him break to a walk just as we were approaching the loop.  Then we both hear a scream.

Fortunately, the giant scary never-seen wild hog screamed again, so I could tell where it was and knew that if we continued on our path, we'd be headed straight for it.  I have never in my life ridden Archie like this, but I whipped him around while pressing my heels into him and told him to go.  Again, no idea if they'd run screaming from him, but no interest in finding out.  Of course, "go" for a geriatric crippled pony is an extended trot, but it was fine because it was safe and sustainable.

Of course the only heart rate it captures is "oh shit" mode.
And that's the story of how we got chased out of the woods by pig squeals.

I just need a hug.

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. They are supposed to be vicious creatures. You kids done good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met a horse that hasn't completely lost its shit when it sees a pig, feral or not. Way to carry your mother to safety, Archie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have giant wild hogs here too. Luckily I've never come across one while on a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one in St. Augustine that would come on the farm. We had one horse that I was afraid was going to jump over his stall door just knowing it was outside. Of course, Violet simply walked out into the runout to see what the commotion was, and then went back inside to eat hay. Still wouldn't want to see what she would do up close and personal, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old Yeller or Savage Sam. Read them. Old Yeller especially has a lot about wild hogs in Texas. Scares me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way scary, glad you made it out unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can think of with pig squealing and the deep south is "You got a perdy mouth..." Eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit. That would have been the perfect title.

      Delete
  8. That's scary; I love pigs, but I've heard those wild hogs are vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramone would probably scare Archie because he squeals like a pig when he's happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not want to meet one of the pigs... We will have to find a way to avoid that haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WAH! That is not worth it. NO wild hogs for me, thanks. (Except in the form of bacon!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pigs, whether feral or not, are one of the most dangerous things you can encounter on trail. We had a domestic-gone-feral one that had been coming onto the current farm around the time Lily smashed her face open. That was the only thing I could think of that would startle her so badly she would slice her skin off on the mangers from jerking her head up so suddenly. He had been spotted hanging around the mare field that week. I later encountered him on trail with Gracie and thank God for all the groundwork with her or I would have been trampled by her when I chose to dismount so I could control her while trying to get away from the pig..who tried to follow us!!!! No one could catch him; he ultimately had to be shot in order to stop him. (By his owner; not even his owner could control him!) So yeah: wise choice and I'm glad your getaway was uneventful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THAT IS TERRIFYING. I'm so glad you and Archie got out safely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scary! They are destructive, invasive creatures, I am glad your encounter turned out ok! I've only done the turn-n-burn one time: I saw two baby bears quickly climbing a tree...and no momma in sight. That instinct to run away is pretty strong!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oklahoma is riddled with feral hogs, especially in river bottoms. I just saw a litter of piglets a couple weeks ago! They were not very scared of the 4 wheeler... So I can't imagine what I'd do on horse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um yea I would get right the F outta there too haha. Also Archie's face in that last pic is so precious - poor buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes, I would not want to be riding around where there are wild boar! They are scary and mean! Thankfully the only "scary" thing I have ever seen on a trail ride was a porcupine lumbering along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad your noble steed carried you to safety... but I will be honest and admit my city kid self is jealous you have "cool wildlife"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was photographing domestic hogs a day or so ago and even those suckers make instinctual circuits go off in my body that say, "BE WARY." I can't even FATHOM wild hogs on trails! Bears are bad enough - and they run away from you [in WV]!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!