TOABH: Self-Actualized.

Here's a little insider information:  mi madre, whom I adore, has a Master's in psychology.  I took psychology in college, but let me just say that the experience was enhanced by having a mother who was entrenched in developing my mind and my mental well-being throughout my entire life.  I credit her with my IDGAF attitude.  I have stories.

The point of this is to say that I knew about Maslow's hierarchy of needs about the same time that I was learning algebra.. early.  Of course I'd apply it to my pony.  And my dogs.  And my husband.  And even the turtle in the tank.

Here's a brief lesson:

Self-actualization is that thing that we all aspire to.  Theoretically.  If you drink the Kool-aid.  According to Maslow, it is only achieved once all our other needs are met: physiological, safety, love,  and esteem.  


Self-Actualized.
Assuming that your horse has absolutely everything he needs (food, bedding, a warm stall, plenty of blankets, and a pasture mate he neither humps, maims nor gets abused by),  what does your horse need to be the best version of himself?

Stimulation.  I can tell you that these two months of sitting in the lane pasture have turned my placid and loving pony into a monster.  His brain is so stinking bored.  I've started taking him on walks every evening, letting him smell stuff, and asking him to do some stuff in-hand.  But Archie is at his best when I'm asking him to think and to try.


His "oh shit" faces during recent walks.
Rider confidence.  If I'm not confident in what we're doing, Archie will give me a giant fuck-you.  He turns into a pansy.  And if he doesn't have confidence in me, he's not going to listen to me, and he's not going to perform.
get the InLinkz code

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hmm that pyramid is... interesting. Maybe I'm the exception, but a lot of the self actualization part applies to me and yet not all of the other things are met LOL! It's definitely interesting though. I'll have to give some thought to this to see how it applies to my horse. Fun hop!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww poor bored Archie!!! hopefully his confinement in the lane pasture will be over soon! great topic too - i'll definitely need to think about it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Arch! Can he have a cone or something fun like one of those grain dispenser thingy to knock around in his lane pasture? Not having a job made Pong a beast too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Arch! Can he have a cone or something fun like one of those grain dispenser thingy to knock around in his lane pasture? Not having a job made Pong a beast too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boredom is the enemy when injured - good call on the hand walking adventures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!